[game_preservation] [August SIG] So much stuff posted up!

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 5 19:27:08 EDT 2008

About the White Paper, here is what I have been
meaning to write and just have not had time to
put down. So I am giving up on the longer tome
and summarizing what we need to do:

1) The discussion about methods for collaborating
pretty much bogged down. (I will reserve
comment on the odds of a successful conclusion on
any topic to discussion of meta-issues.) We do
have a group of volunteers to work as a kind of
committee for the project, plus we have the
entire group. So, let's just get started.

2) In that spirit, I have set up a "White paper brainstorm" page here:
http://www.igda.org/wiki/White_paper_brainstorm
Have a look, and get busy! And if you do
contribute, please consider adding yourself to
the contributors page, which will then identify
our de facto editorial committee.

3) IGDA has just opened up a fund for internal
funding or projects. In the next weeks, I will
submit a proposal for a modest level of funds to
produce a print version of the white paper. If
we are both good and lucky, we may have this to
distribute at GDC 2009. If not, well, we'll find a way to get it out there.

4) Keep in mind: This first paper is a "call to
arms" effort. It will focus on goals, benefits,
reasons for worrying about this. We need
passionate and compelling arguments, good
examples of positive efforts and painful losses,
etc. We can get into solutions with a second
white paper on practices, which perhaps we could
finish for GDC 2010. However, if somebody would
like to get us started now on the second text, no
reason not to -- just set up a page for brainstorming!

5) Feel free to muck around with the wiki pages I
set up for us to get started. That's what a wiki is for!

Best,

Henry

At 03:45 PM 8/5/2008, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>So the month of August rolls around. This is

>late coming due to posting a ton of new blog

>links from me missing a week of content, but I

>wanted to try out the monthly progress

>reports/articles posted links. Helps me at least keep myself on track! :)

>Preservation SIG Updates

>If anyone remembers, the

><http://www.igda.org/wiki/Memorials>Memorials

>project was launched more officially in June.

>This has lead to a total of exactly no one

>emailing Devin about it as far as I'm aware

>(boo!) however, we're working on it ourselves

>(yay!). Contributions welcome, there's a lot of

>Biographies to do. People who died in July added

>to the project are

><http://www.igda.org/wiki/Memorials/Randy_Pausch>Randy

>Pausch (Professor), and

><http://www.igda.org/wiki/Memorials/Melissa_Batten>Melissa

>Batten (Xbox 360 Developer). Both are rather sad

>cases - Randy for his inevitable death from

>cancer, and Melissa because of it being a murder-suicide by her husband.

>I have been working on plans to update the SIG's

>information lists - which are now outdated, and

>in fact were always incomplete. Starting afresh

>is the

><http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/Contributions>Contributions

>page, where museums and archives will be listed

>who can accept material. I personally am working

>on emailing who I can, and in am in contact in

>person with the <http://www.tnmoc.org/>UK

>National Museum of Computing (which I

><http://aarmstrong.org/journal/2008/07/27/the-national-museum-of-computing>visited

>recently). Contributions to this section or

>knowledge of any computer museums welcome - I

>have only two USA museums to contact at the moment, there must be more! :)

>Finally, as an aside project, I am gearing up my

>uploading efforts at the

><http://www.archive.org/details/gamevideos>Internet

>Archive, despite my internet connection here

>being absolutely terrible for uploads. I'm

>uploading more Kikizo and Fileshack material in

>bits and pieces, and also the online gamer show

>Pure Pwnage, which is easier since Wikipedia

>provides a nice description of the content :) -

>Henry and his Standford groupies are doing some

>work in the

><http://www.archive.org/details/virtual_worlds>Virtual Worlds section too!

>I might also be onto getting some older E3

>videos/documentary stuff up from someone who

>might be interested, we'll see - the E3 of

>yesteryear isn't going to come back so soon, so

>it'll be interesting to put that material up.

>There will also be some effort if I run out of

>everything else to start uploading trailers and

>promo material. I'll link to anything

>interesting, and try and root out some strange stuff for the collection.

>August Preservation SIG Work

>I have no idea how Henry is doing for workload -

>so I don't expect the whitepaper will get

>started yet. I personally will try and finish in

> [...]

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004