[game_preservation] Project idea; List of closed companies

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Dec 22 22:26:15 EST 2008

I was wondering, with Free Radical (who's UK based, thus I noticed it
more then other recent closures) suddenly, like many game development
studios, just shut shop:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/free-radical-design-latest-to-face-financial-trouble

I think it might be worth, certainly for recent companies, to get a list
of closed companies somehow - that is, which is why I am posting here,
to see if there is a good list already available :)

Certainly this would help anyone who was, really, on the edge of getting
information - certainly I'd not mind getting the history of Free Radical
(and if anything, any old stuff they had obviously could be moved to an
archive too! but that usually never happens :( ) now, rather then
whenever in the future when all the employee's have moved, things are
everywhere and anywhere, and so forth. It is rather a sad topic, of
course, and one historians seriously have trouble dealing with - there's
not a great deal of information available about closed companies (at
least, information about their final days) out there unless a book/huge
site/whatever was done of them during their lifespan or just after it.

Once the new IGDA site goes live I'll also try and invest some time in
contacting the studio's people (somehow, given they are not working
there anymore this might be harder then expected) and request some final
interviews, and whatnot, so some of the history of the company can be
caught before it disappears, since we all know memory isn't always very
reliable after a while.