[game_preservation] Game preservation in 2008

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 4 23:58:14 EST 2008

You go, Simon, our fingers are crossed. An 11th-hour rescue would be
fine by me!
Henry

At 05:34 PM 1/4/2008, Simon Carless wrote:

>Hold your horses on this, guys, I'm poking again and should have an

>answer on Monday.

>To be clear - and not to be too harsh - the Advisory Board, not CMP,

>rejected the Digital Game Canon talk. The advisory board meets in

>closed session and so I can't really say why other than the fact that

>attendee feedback was below average.

>Nonetheless, I'll try to do something about it. But it's a point worth

>making that, at least with regular sessions at GDC, a jury of industry

>peers decides who is included.

>On 1/4/08, Andrew Armstrong <andrew at aarmstrong.org> wrote:

> > Shame about the Digital Game Canon :( CMP get major down points for that

> > I'm afraid, along with IGDA getting less slots (why?! bizarre...it's the

> > same venue as last year isn't it? the DGC was popular too I recall

> > reading!).

> > Not good, compared to film it's a bit of a setback. Could a "podcast" be

> > done with the DGC participants? we could at least do with another 10

> > games, and some critical commentary on why they are chosen. Even if it

> > isn't a public event, keeping the momentum going would be great... maybe

> > next time it can be put on again, or organised out of session time

> > unassociated with CMP.

> > At least your have your roundtable(s) on preservation, if nothing else!

> > Gather what support there can be, maybe the new UT Videogame Archive

> > will help spur a few things on as well as the virtual worlds project.

> > Keep us posted on it! Is there a website for the weekend Stanford event

> > I can use in case news gets posted about it? (and so I can find more

> > about it myself)

> > Thanks,

> > Andrew

> > Henry Lowood wrote:

> > > Andrew and others:

> > > I have been meaning to get a message out on this topic, so thanks for

> > > the prompt! I'll just go right down the list of items:

> > > 1. Yes, there will be a preservation roundtable at GDC, not sure

> > > about two. There were two last year, but this year IGDA did not get

> > > as many slots. I hope to see many of you there; we'll have just had

> > > the kickoff meeting for the Library of Congress project and can talk

> > > at length about it and how this group can participate.

> > > 2. Digital Game Canon. GDC, believe it or not, rejected the panel,

> > > even though it included a few very well-known game developers. (Quick

> > > editorial remark: A friend of mine just sat on the committee that made

> > > the selections for the National Film Registry in the U.S. The film

> > > preservation efforts around that are actively supported by numerous

> > > film directors and other personalities in that industry. I was

> > > envious.) Simon tried to rescue the panel for GDC, but clearly that

> > > is not going to happen. So I will work on another venue or perhaps

> > > just organize and announce the 2008 list via the SIG.

> > > 3. Technically, the Library of Congress project started on 1/1/2008.

> [...]

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Germanic Collections; Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library
557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004 USA
lowood at stanford.edu; 650-723-4602