[game_preservation] Abandonware

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Jun 15 18:03:53 EDT 2008

Simple question: What are your opinions on abandonware
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware>?

My reason for asking is two fold; firstly, the Internet Archive does
have a current legal right to work on preserving abandoned games hosting
the material in a private archive (I have, however, no idea how this can
be ever accessed, hehe), so I was going to investigate this side, which
is more legal.

On the other side, we have a multitude of sites which are providing
downloads of old games (sometimes with a lot of additional information)
- some, rarely, are actually legal to distribute, while most are in
copyrighted or in legal limbo. Apart from the most popular licences,
most are dead and buried - the companies who made the games no longer
exist, and much of the time there is no one to even ask about the IP.

I'd rather like to cover this area, despite it's grey legal area, rather
then ignore it. This would only mean some more news articles where
relevant and a listing of the relevant sites in our links directory, and
possibly more information if I got around to researching it past what
Wikipedia has. It might also influence future projects, who knows what
we'll do.

Thanks for anyone's opinions on this, and of course, Henry really has
the last say on if we'll cover it but I wanted a discussion regardless.

(Also I want more activity here since it's really good, and there's a
lot more I should be putting up on this list, and a lot more I think
others could put up if they thought it was worth discussing :-) ).