[game_preservation] Abandonware

Captain Commando evilcowclone at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 00:05:27 EDT 2008

That's right! Man, I remember back in the old days when I saw my first 1TB
hard drive ever... On this TechTV show called 'The Screen Sniffers'. :P

(Kudos to anybody who recognized that episode)

-DM

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Simon Carless <simon at archive.org> wrote:

> It's anywhere between tens of megabytes to tens of gigabytes, I believe. 1

> terabytes hard drives are less than $200 nowadays, so shouldn't be a big

> problem :)

> s!

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM, Captain Commando <evilcowclone at gmail.com>

> wrote:

>> Wow, that list is pretty amazing. Thanks for sharing! Out of curiosity,

>> how much space does all this software take up? I don't see any

>> 'meta-metadata' regarding that, but it was a question regarding the

>> feasibility of actually archiving all this stuff onto hard drives, digital

>> tape, or optical media for long-term storage. Obviously this doesn't include

>> every single piece of software made for those platforms though...

>> -DM

>> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 9:28 PM, Simon Carless <simon at archive.org> wrote:

>>> Here's a post I made on the most recent renewal of the DMCA exemption for

>>> abandonware - but as Andrew notes, this only applies to libraries/archival

>>> institutions:

>>> http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/11/dmca_exemption_for_game_archiv.php

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSEC

>>> http://www.tosec.org/userfiles/Complete_(TOSEC-v2007-03-14_CM).zip<http://www.tosec.org/userfiles/Complete_%28TOSEC-v2007-03-14_CM%29.zip>

>>> Needless to say, you can find the complete sets on various torrent sites,

>>> and I don't really believe they are in danger of being lost. It would be

>>> nice for official archives to keep copies of them, but that would mean the

>>> archive would have to have physical copies of each of the games, of course.

>>> The problem with abandonware is that many people are willing and happy to

>>> stretch the concept of abandonware to any out of print game, no matter if it

>>> has commercial value or not.

>>> So maybe the SIG should cover and even archive the DATs from TOSEC,

>>> abstractly. Since that's just metadata. Just no linking to Home Of The

>>> Underdogs pages, etc.

>>> s!

>>> wrote:

>>> game_preservation mailing list