[game_preservation] IGDA Memorials Project has launched!

Captain Commando evilcowclone at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 21:21:00 EDT 2008

Hello all,

We just launched the IGDA Memorials Project officially and I've already
started to get some great feedback on the site. Jason has been particularly
pleased with our progress. Please check the wiki if you haven't already:

www.igda.org/wiki/Memorials

Andrew has been working on materials organization for the Wiki, so he's the
tech guy. I have been keeping the conversation between Andrew, Henry, and
myself for easier communication to help the project get running more
smoothly. The name was changed from the Game Developer Memorials Project to
the IGDA Memorials Project as we felt it emphasized that this was an IGDA
project. The project is launched as part of the Game Preservation SIG, so we
didn't have to bother creating a new SIG. In addition, I posted an article
in this month's IGDA newsletter so we'll be trying to coordinate with
chapters from all over the world (though for some reason, I haven't received
the newsletter yet!). We also have an official contact e-mail, which
forwards to my DU account: memorials at igda.org .

If anyone has materials they wish to contribute, please let me or Andrew
know. I am currently working on the memorial for Alan Kotok, but I have an
absolutely incredible amount of information on him so it will take some
time.

Here is a copy of the letter for discussion:

Game Developer Memorials Project

The IGDA Game Preservation SIG is launching the IGDA Memorials Project to
remember the lives and work of members of the Game Industry. The Memorials
Project contains biographies of professionals from around the world, and is
welcome to anyone who worked on a game or with the Industry in the past. In
addition, because we believe the IGDA stands for more than just videogames,
there are Memorials for designers of paper-based games, as well as notable
individuals from the toy industry, critical game studies, and computer
science, whose work has greatly affected the ways in which we understand,
play, and design our games.

It is our firm intent that the IGDA Memorials Project will help the IGDA
build our international community and demonstrate our seriousness as an
industry and an art form that cares deeply about its individuals and their
contribution to the medium. We recognize our community as being a continuous
line of individuals stretching from the past and into the future rather than
as being defined solely by the latest titles on the wall. We should remember
these individuals as people whose creative passions helped shape the medium
to become what it is today and whose legacy continues to direct where it
will go in the future.

The IGDA Memorials Project welcomes participation from members of the
community to help celebrate the memories of our own. Most Memorials provide
the option for members to post eulogies regarding their own personal
experiences with and memories of a person they knew or whose work they cared
deeply about. We are also interested in hearing about other developers whose
Memorials are not already on our site. If you are interested in
participating in the IGDA Memorials Project, please visit our Submission
Guidelines page ( http://www.igda.org/wiki/Memorials/Submission_Guidelines )
or contact memorials at igda.org.

Devin Monnens
IGDA Game Preservation SIG