[game_preservation] Long-Term Storage

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sat Jun 28 19:49:53 EDT 2008

I've not seen this discussed, thought it might be interesting to know
what people used for long-term storage of anything (not just preserving
our games. Because of course we can't remove the media from the CD's
legally or some rubbish ;-) ).

Okay, I myself am poor (both at backing up long term and in the money
sense). I use external HDD's to backup, not that much space, I want to
get TB drives (I have one old one I use, but the others are like 250GB,
not enough!). For more-or-less static stuff, I use DVD's to back the
stuff up.

I did wonder if the price/performance point of this kind of media was
worthwhile *ever* considering the rate of change in technology:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/06/27/delkin_200_year_bluray_disc/

£125 a pop. Worth it more then 2 DVD's every X number of years for some
data?

It doesn't seem any more worth then HDD's (of any type, although solid
state have inherent advantages).

In any case, for preservationists I do wonder what is used - I hope it
isn't just tape backups, which are rapidly going out of fashion and space :)

I presume it's mainly based around automated data redundancy and
checking (so yet more redundancy if something fails).

Well, for hobbists it's going to be a lot smaller scale. It's
interesting seeing the extremes :) and if any company starts providing a
proper long-term (and well tested) solution to hardware failure, at a
more reasonable cost :)