[game_preservation] Long-Term Storage

Simon Carless simon at archive.org
Mon Jun 30 14:23:19 EDT 2008

I think a far more important question is - what are we preserving and how
are we preserving it? I already started using the Internet Archive's data
systems (which are fairly robust, and which I'm sure we could use for legal
projects) for the CLASP project, which is now on hiatus.

But the issue was - it's just no fun and a tremendous amount of work 'dark
archiving' classic games into sealed vaults for 75 years (until copyright
runs out - potentially longer!), especially when there's no real ability to
display them anywhere.

As Henry Lowood has remarked before a few times on here - it's probably the
participatory history (interviewing creators) and physical ephemera around
the making of the game that is as - or more - important than the finished
product itself, which I have a strong reason to believe will be preserved by
hobbyists and fans - in digital/emulated form, quite often - far beyond any
organized or centralized attempt to do so.

My 2c,
Simon.