[game_preservation] Gary Gygax passed away

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 4 14:01:22 EST 2008

Andrew,

I hadn't heard about that -- big news and I hope we can organize a
memorial page or obtain permission to use information from another
site. I'm about to leave on a short trip, but if any help with his
page is needed next week, I'm happy to pitch in.

Henry

At 10:36 AM 3/4/2008, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>News on Gary Gygax's death. I've only heard him really speak in

>Futurama (a great appearance I might add), but damn, he was a big

>game developer, and must have been a great guy.

>:-(

>News post on

><http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/04/1750206>Slashdot.

>The forum (his publisher) which reported it is really overwhelmed,

>but

><http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4373&mforum=trolllordgames>this

>is the link.

>And a quick note; I think this is most certainly someone who

>deserves a <http://www.igda.org/wiki/Memorials>memorial page. Once

>an obituary is published, I'll see if the person who does one wants

>to have it copied onto the IGDA site, unless anyone wants to do one

>on this mailing list we can post of course, the game developer angle

>would be a nice thing.

>Andrew

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004