[game_preservation] Digital Game Canon website (initial stages)

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Mar 9 21:12:49 EDT 2008

Hey all,

Feedback very much appreciated for this from anyone. I've started
looking at the DGC website, and had some initial questions for Henry and
everyone else. I also created a "initial hierarchy".

*Hierarchy*

Main page
-> List the games

*Game page*

GAME is a shorthand name, eg: "Doom" is "doom" but "Super Mario Brothers
3" is truncated to "smb3". Meant to be easier to type in URL bar.

digitalgamecanon.org/GAME
-> Profile page (Main page) - release dates, historical information,
credits.
digitalgamecanon.org/GAME/preservation
-> Where is this game being preserved and how is it being preserved? Is
it being emulated (illegally or not)?
digitalgamecanon.org/GAME/history/page
-> History piece on main page plus reason for inclusion in the DGC.
Multiple pages most likely.
digitalgamecanon.org/GAME/interviews
-> Interviews page - interviews done about the game we can host.
digitalgamecanon.org/GAME/gallery
-> Picture/screenshot gallery
digitalgamecanon.org/GAME/media
-> Media page - videos (Likely using the Internet archive (Primary)
GameTrailers.com (Secondary)), sounds, archival material
-> Both these contain adverts, PR material, pop culture references,
as well as in-game things
digitalgamecanon.org/GAME/files
-> Files which are not "media", which *might* even include the game
itself. Might include links. Might include popular modifications.
digitalgamecanon.org/GAME/reviews
-> Reviews page
-> Game journalism and other reviews. Critical analysis pieces.
digitalgamecanon.org/GAME/links
-> Links page
-> Sections for fansites, links to "IGN pages" and the like,
official site(s) (if any).

Page layout (it's simple. I like simple!):

Digital Game Canon banner

Game Name
----------------------
Main | Preservation | History | Interviews | Gallery | Media | Files |
Reviews | Links
----------------------

Content of page

Footer

Questions:

What should the site be licensed under?
- Copyrighting it would be backwards right?
- What if we don't "own the licence" for some things, like video
files from IA, or any provided copyrighted material for the game?

Is my assumption that "GAME" should be as short as possible a good one?
or should it be Wikipedia style names? ("Super_Mario_Brothers_3")

Is anything missing, wrong or could be improved in the hierarchy?

Is anyone willing to help source the different types of information for
the existing DGC entries?

Any ideas about the presentation of the 2008 DGC Henry? :)

Thanks,