[game_preservation] Arthur C. Clarke dies, aged 90

Captain Commando evilcowclone at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 21:09:03 EDT 2008

> I just want to be sure that we do not consider MobyGames as the universal

> credits list.

Of course not. While they have a lot of information and I consider it to be
superior to other places like GameFAQs, there is nothing like an arcade game
information database for instance (other than mamend, but they just have
still images).

> I have no idea how it handles uncredited people), but keep this kind of

> thing in mind, and we'll come back to it later.

Funny thing is, I just e-mailed them about it. Turns out they will accept
uncredited information if you can provide documentation from the developer
about this (so if Tommy Tallarico wanted to be recognized for his SFX work
on Metroid Prime, he'd have to send them a document with that information
from Retro Studios).

RE: Joseph Weizenbaum:

I'm probably fine with him on there in an 'influential persons' category,
though we run the risk of exploding it with lots of people who are important
to know but maybe didn't do much for games. There are TONS of names in
computer science (Alan Turing, for instance, particularly for the Turing
Test) and if Clark than certainly Azimov for his Three Laws of Robotics (not
quite sure how that affects games but it's pretty important!). From the
literary side, I would actually probably have to demand Vernor Vinge (True
Names) and William Gibson (Neuromancer, Dogfight).

RE: Stuart

Sorry I did not read this information in the article on the game. This is an
important piece of information that I missed because of this. I'm still
finding it hard to believe but I guess this was the clarification and
information I was asking for. It opens up an embarrassing can of worms
regarding FMV game actors (and voice actors), but if Clarke was an actor,
then he probably had something significant to tell the developers as well.

-DM

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando