[game_preservation] Arthur C. Clarke dies, aged 90

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Wed Mar 19 09:01:49 EDT 2008

Thanks for all the comments, Devin can help write them up it seems. The
reasons for memorial pages isn't specifically to cater for elite people
- I am sure we'll have (obviously) several friends of the industry who
need adding, despite never being credited with a game title directly,
and we'll discuss them too. Anyone who has been credited, and we catch,
will be added regardless, just to allow the possibility of comments of them.

Thanks for the clarification Jim - and sorry Billy for getting it wrong
that Dave isn't specifically on there, but I am sure there are other
examples, certainly in the area of famous players, consultants, lawyers,
and other people who influenced the industry but who don't exist in the
DB. It's a limitation, sure, of scope - so it's difficult to help add
these entries if they're not allowed :-)

I'm all for helping Mobygames on the credits front, of course. The IGDA
wiki is unsuitable for having any Wikipedia-like entries in it for the
other people however, since from a preservation perspective it is not a
relational database and cannot be easily searched, so that'll be a
future project to complement Wikipedia, Mobygames, and so on.

I'll also investigate what kind of information can be added to a
Mobygames person page, to see if it can be suitably used for biography
and historical work, of those that are in it (for instance, can pictures
be added, what kind of formatting is allowed, and is it easy to add
references, links and footnotes - I've got an account, I've never had
anything to contribute though. I note that 99% of people entries I've
come across are entirely empty however. I also don't know how useful it
is to historians who want to use the information - copyright status,
etc.). I'll start putting up the IGDA memorial biographies/obituaries to
the people's mobygames pages when I have some time.

Andrew