[game_preservation] Arthur C. Clarke dies, aged 90

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 19 12:44:39 EDT 2008

I don't have anything to add on Arthur C. Clarke, but I do have some
thoughts on Gary Gygax. Bottom line: I think he is a shoo-in for a page:

1. He was a game designer.
2. The basic role-playing system in D&D is evident in the majority
(easily) of digital role-playing games. Even today in WoW players
sometimes speak of "rolling" a new character.
3. Any number of digital games were, of course, directly based on D&D
(mostly licensed), not just the system but also the content.
4. Somebody will need to back up on my memory on this, but wasn't
Gygax a consultant on some roleplaying games or MMO? It's not a
crucial point really; pts. 1-3 easily justify including him among the
memorials, but I just seem to remember reading something about this
in Computer Games or another magazine, maybe an interview with Gygax.
5. A piece of indirect evidence for his impact on digital games is
the vast number of tributes already on-line from developers, writers
and players, from Raph Koster's blog to TerraNova and the mmo sites.

I hope you all caught the piece in Newsweek, by the way (including
N'gai Kroal):
http://www.newsweek.com/id/119782/

Henry

At 05:16 AM 3/19/2008, Dyson, Jon-Paul wrote:

>This has been a fascinating discussion and I think an important one

>to have early on. My vote as well would be not to include Arthur C.

>Clarke--while clearly influential it does seem like his direct

>involvement in the gaming industry was tangential. For the sake of

>keeping the memorials focused I think it would be better to

>concentrate those with very direct influence on the gaming industry.

>Gygax invented a game-playing system that in a sense became the

>game-play engine for a vast number of electronic games so I would

>make an exception for him. Clarke did not invent science fiction

>even if he did much to popularize it. On the other hand if this were

>an encyclopedia project (similar to John Clute's Encyclopedia of

>Fantasy and Encyclopedia of Science Fiction) I would include Clarke

>in an entry on science fiction and its influence on video games.

>Thanks to all who are working on these memorials--they're very important.

>Best,

>J.P.

>Jon-Paul C. Dyson, Ph.D.

>Vice President for Exhibit Research and Development and

>Associate Curator for Electronic Games

>Strong National Museum of Play

>One Manhattan Square

>Rochester, NY 14607

>Direct line: 585-410-6341

>Fax: 585-263-2493

>Email: jpdyson at museumofplay.org

>Website: http://museumofplay.org

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004