[game_preservation] AMAZING collection of E3 '95 videos!

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Mar 31 17:10:38 EDT 2008

Mike Melanson wrote:

> I haven't heard of meGUI before. However, we only recently (in the last

> few weeks) added support for some of Fraps' later versions. Since

> everything depends on FFmpeg, your software would not have been able to

> handle the newer files.

meGUI can run those scripts that do the command line stuff step-by-step.
I'd rather not delve into the command line itself, heh.

It also runs it's own downloads for the processing and suchlike,
obviously Frap's isn't there yet like you said.

> Would an 'ffmpeg' command line be suitable if the user could specify a

> preset? I.e., './ffmpeg -preset QualityX'? A lot of people have wanted

> that for a long time but we're still mired in details.

What do you mean exactly? I don't use ffmpeg because, as far as I know,
it doesn't have H264 encoding (does it?) and most things use X264, and
various different AAC encoders (Winamp and Nero are two I've seen).
That, and it's all command line, which confuses me for doing many things.

Basic quality settings would be nice. One thing StaxRip does is, if you
pre-process it, it can gather info about the file, and say if you want
"50% quality" (the recommended amount, which actually looks great), then
it'll be this output size. The only thing; StaxRip is a bit weird,
especially on the audio side and what files it works with.

Sigh, I wish video encoding was easier. Input any video file, select
cropping and new dimensions, select H264, and appropriate audio (so
lower quality for a smaller file if needed) and go! :-)

DVD ripping (*cough* my own DVD's thanks) have tons of great
implementations, among them Handbreak is great on Mac software. Just
nothing similar exists for file conversion as far as I've researched!

(VirtualDub - limited accepted files, and doesn't do H264...bah! it's
otherwise quite good!)