[game_preservation] Problematic installation DRM; thoughts?

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Mon May 12 12:13:06 EDT 2008

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Good point that it is partially an MMO (although not pay per month

> right? that usually is the main way to stop the piracy of MMO's),

> although I am sure Spore allows entirely offline play from it's

> descriptions. Mass Effect is purely singleplayer however. You're right

> that the CD key generation would be hampered, but I've no idea how they

> do it so it's unlikely to do much to stop it.

My overall point is that the problem will never go away and eventually
become the industry standard. To be honest, I'm astonished most
companies haven't gone to public-key encryption verification yet. It's
free, it's unbreakable, and it would almost completely eliminate piracy
if portions of the gaming experience were located on corporate servers
and access to those servers was required for gameplay.

Stand-alone games will always have the opportunity to be cracked, as
they can be cracked after installation. No surprise, then, that many
companies won't produce games without online components.

The *real* thing you should be worried about is a decade from now, when
all electronic content offerings are online and no information resides
on the local hardware except maybe as a cache. The success of xbox live
and the Wii marketplace is the first tiny bit of writing on the wall.
In a decade I would expect all electronic gaming platforms, both console
and PC, to be 100% network devices without the ability to accept local
media to start the experience. At that time, historical/archival
efforts *must* be performed at the then-present time, because they will
have a very short life (ie. four years later when nobody plays the game,
the company will cease to offer the content).

Just your friendly doom and gloom for the week...
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Help our electronic games project: http://www.mobygames.com/