[game_preservation] Google Shutting down Lively

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Nov 23 08:57:13 EST 2008

Well, the soundtrack will certainly be the only thing you can play from
the package once it goes offline!

*zing*

I've no idea how good/bad this MMO was because, I've found, MMO's pretty
much are grindtastic and no one I know plays them much, so no community
for me ;) I do wonder if one will come along I'll actually want to play,
but some do drop like flies.

Andrew

Devin Monnens wrote:

> That's too bad. Richard Garriot was so hopeful about it. They had the

> LE version selling for pennies. Would have been worth it for the

> soundtrack maybe.

> On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Andrew Armstrong

> <andrew at aarmstrong.org <mailto:andrew at aarmstrong.org>> wrote:

> Hot on the heels...Tabula Rasa as we all know didn't do to well.

> Feb 28th is the death knell for it -

> http://www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/message_from_the_tabula_rasa_t.html

> Anyone know any others closing down?

> Andrew

> Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>> Yeah, certainly if I notice anything online, I'll post about it

>> here.Keep an eye out everyone!

>> Defiantly, if it was longer running there'd be a better community

>> and it'd be easier to go out and email those sites for help

>> regarding this.

>> I very much doubt Google themselves would do much to help if

>> contacted - generally their "dead" things really, really stay

>> dead (see their Google Sync for Firefox, entirely binned, sigh),

>> and they usually don't release much for historians. Might be

>> worth a shot though, on the off hand :)

>> Andrew

>> Henry Lowood wrote:

>>> Actually 4.5 months. Did you see in the announcement that they

>>> are encouraging users to take screenshots and videos of their

>>> sites? I would be happy to take anything like that in the

>>> Archiving Virtual Worlds collection, which is available for

>>> exactly this sort of thing. If you hear about such

>>> documentation, feel free to point them to the collection or even

>>> to me if they need help uploading.

>>> Henry

>>> 650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu <mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>;

>>> http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood <http://www.stanford.edu/%7Elowood>