[game_preservation] White Paper: Case Study Research!

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Fri Nov 28 09:08:52 EST 2008

Thanks for the information, should be useful - if not as a direct
statement in the case study section, in the "current problems" section
we have.

Andrew

István Fábián wrote:

> Some of those have been recovered, but most are indeed MIA and known

> to exist.

> As for the number of Amiga titles over 5000 commercial releases, some

> with very limited (few hundred units) prints.

> Istvan

>>> Mt. Drash fits into that category. Well what if the game had

>>> never been found and verified? Only a few copies are known

>>> to exist. What if there are titles that we think don't exist

>>> but really do and have been lost?

>>> Even if we are 99.9% sure that a game hasn't been officially

>>> released, does that mean it shouldn't be preserved? There

>>> are some games that although they were never released (to

>>> the best of our collective knowledge), may have been

>>> complete or very close to complete and were just killed at

>>> the end for financial reasons. One example that came up in

>>> discussion not that long ago was Ultima 8: The Lost Vale

>>> expansion, for which a box prototype turned up. The code may

>>> turn up at some point - it may even be among the mass of

>>> materials that the Wing Commander fans got from EA from the

>>> old Origin collection. But EA didn't really care too much

>>> about preserving that stuff, and so for now, the code is

>>> lost. Another game that was killed close to the finish line

>>> and which I personally mourned was Star Trek: The Secret of

>>> Vulcan Fury. DeForest Kelley (Dr. McCoy) even recorded voice

>>> acting for that one before he died and it presumably has

>>> been thrown in the garbage.

>>> I'm not sure how this group feels about unreleased games,

>>> but I would think that developers in particular would want

>>> to preserve them. I was reading something on Gamasutra the

>>> other day where a developer was saying that he's been in the

>>> industry for 10 years (or something like that) and only had

>>> 2 released titles, because the other 3 were cancelled after

>>> the team had put in a lot of work. Should that work be

>>> preserved, if it was at the point where the game was

>>> playable and viable? Does the decision of a marketing exec

>>> ultimately define whether or not we want to preserve a

>>> title? I realize there are intellectual property laws in

>>> play here, but ultimately we have these "guerilla

>>> preservationists" who will do what is needed despite the

>>> law, such as finding an old Atari 2600 game prototype on

>>> cartridge and then dumping it onto the net so it can be

>>> preserved.

>>> Anyway, it's late and I think I rambled a bit, but I hope I

>>> got some coherent thought across. Happy Thanksgiving. : )

>>> Stuart

>>> *From:* game_preservation-bounces at igda.org

>>> if you like):

>>> http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/White_Paper/Before_It%27s_Too_Late:_A_Digital_Game_Preservation_White_Paper

>>> The main part that we need information on is the Case Study:

>>> "What If We Do Nothing?"

>>> This requires either a savvy fictional account of the future

>>> where we don't preserve much of anything, or some good

>>> examples of what we have already lost (a nice twist, we

>>> reveal this has already happened.../dun dun dun!/).

>>> There are a few examples brought up

>>> <http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/White_paper_brainstorm/Compelling_Examples#Examples_of_Historical_Works_lost_in_Videogames>

>>> before, but nothing much detailed for a real-life example.

>>> This means we might have to come up with a fictional account

>>> anyway, or a hybrid.

>>> So: ideas welcome! What's the worst story you can think of,

>>> or the worst actual thing that's been lost so far!

>>> It's aimed at developers remember - not

>>> historians/preservationists/archivists themselves (we

>>> already know how important it all is) - so a relevant

>>> example for developers (crediting of their works? people

>>> unable to play their games soon in the future? simply them

>>> dropping off the face of the earth in historical terms?)

>>> would be great.

>>> Thanks if anyone can help on this!

>>> Andrew