[game_preservation] Older versions of Programs

Devin Monnens evilcowclone at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 23:33:56 EDT 2008

So if that's the case, we should be making .cue files to go with the VGM
albums we archive? The way I see it, if WAV and FLAC are both lossless, then
shouldn't you be able to just back up the audio as FLAC instead of WAV and
not lose any information? Hmm... Maybe I'm not sure how they work, but
wouldn't m3u's and other playlists also have that same kind of support for
track gaps like on a CD? (so you'd have an m3u with the same track gap
information, but also a .cue so you could create the disc exactly the same
way again).

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Jim Leonard <trixter at oldskool.org> wrote:

> Captain Commando wrote:

>> Now with this in mind, what's SIG members' opinions regarding ISO archival

>> versus storage of individual files on the disc?

> Do both. Space is cheap. 1T drives (1T!!!) are about $109.

> However, I'd recommend bin/cue format since .ISOs won't have redbook audio

> or win/mac formatting. One such guide is here:

> http://darkwater.free.fr/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=67 (specialized for

> Sega CD and Saturn games but appropriate for any mixed-mode disc with data

> and redbook audio)

> --

> Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/

> Help our electronic games project: http://www.mobygames.com/