[game_preservation] Older versions of Programs

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Mon Oct 13 16:33:15 EDT 2008

Devin Monnens wrote:

> Ok, I see that. What if you're talking about JUST an audio CD? What type

> of information might we need for that? Again, would FLAC lossless be enough?

No, subcode info is also required. It could have hidden tracks, or it
could be a CD+G, or something.

It depends on what the goal is. If you want to make a 1:1 copy of
redbook audio, FLAC is not enough. If the audio data itself is the only
thing you care about, then FLAC is fine. But as we all know, part of
history is context; in this case, the delivery medium of the audio. So
to archive it properly, you need to archive the delivery medium and not
just the content.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Help our electronic games project: http://www.mobygames.com/