[game_preservation] [Monthly SIG Updates] September 2008

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Sep 1 16:43:26 EDT 2008

September 2008

With September the 1st comes a new monthly roundup. There's been bits
and pieces of activity, some interesting articles and other odds and ends.

Preservation SIG Updates

First off, the Whitepaper
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/White_paper_brainstorm>
effort has been launched by Henry! This has had exactly no contributors
yet, so make sure to get on the mailing list or wiki to add your
thoughts. Anything, from basic information, ideas and resource links to
paper titles, core concepts and examples of why videogame preservation
is needed are all welcome. Please send this out to anyone who might be
interested in editing or writing for the paper, or who can contribute
some information to it. I'll be adding up some basic information this
month, hopefully encouraging others :)

The memorial project has had a new entry for Dave Pridie
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Memorials/Dave_Pridie> who died in 2001,
contributed by Christopher Bretz.

The Contributions
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/Contributions> page,
where museums and archives will be listed who can accept material from
game developers, has now been started. There are 3 listed locations,
including our own member's Zach Vowell's UT archive and two UK computer
museums. I am planning to email more, but if anyone knows some in person
and can gather some information for this list in the form that already
exists in these examples, it'd be very welcome! (And if anyone can speak
Japanese, there is likely a few in Japan I'd love to add, so give me a
shout if you can help translate!)

Finally I've been more organised in uploading a good amount of videos to
the Internet Archive <http://www.archive.org/details/gamevideos>. Among
the uploades are several years of E3 footage before it "changed" by
Andrew Mehta, for 2004
<http://www.archive.org/details/E3_2004_United_Games>, 2005
<http://www.archive.org/details/E3_2005_Xbox_360_United_Games> and 2006
<http://www.archive.org/details/E3_2006_United_Games>, as well as the
partially finished documentary on videogames - What's Next for
Videogames?
<http://www.archive.org/details/Whats_Next_For_Videogames_-_25min_Extract>.
As noted last month, I have uploaded half of Pure Pwnage
<http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=mediatype%3Amovies%20AND%20collection%3Agamefootage%20AND%20subject%3A%22Pure%20Pwnage%22>.
In addition, the "Meet The
<http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=mediatype%3Amovies%20AND%20collection%3Agamefootage%20AND%20subject%3A%22Meet%20The%22>"
Team Fortress 2 videos from Valve are uploaded. There are a few more
interviews from Kikizo
<http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Agame_interviews&sort=-publicdate>,
and a few odd previews
<http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Avideogameprev&sort=-publicdate>
too bringing up the Previews collection to a nice round 2,200 videos.

September Preservation SIG Work

The contributions and whitepaper sections need attention and I need to
finish templates to update the resources and projects listings -
hopefully once more organised, should be more up to date. The Memorials
project is ongoing.

Anyone who wants to lend a hand or has any ideas for further project
work post on our mailing list.

Mailing List Discussions

If you've not joined our mailing list
<http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/game_preservation>, please do
so. We've never tried using our forums it seems :) we stick to
old-fangled email. Recently there's been discussions on the Wing
Commander IP preservation, the interview of Joe Santulli (collector, see
link below), and on Recreating old development environments after a
Megaman 9 interview came online. Read the past discussions for August
here
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2008-August/thread.html>.

Preservation SIG Blog Updates / Links

Note: Have I missed anything? Then email it in. I really should get a
"Preservation newsdesk" email setup, there's a lot more I simply don't
know about which I keep missing. This is all the August updates not
included in the previous newsletter:

* Call to Action: Game Preservation SIG White Paper brainstorming!
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/call_to_action.html>

* University of Texas at Austin Looks at MMO Preservation
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/university_of_t.html>

* Wing Commander Archiving Project
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/wing_commander.html>

* Mario, Luigi & Bill O'Reilly
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/mario_luigi_bil.html>

* Inside Nintendo's Classic Game Console
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/inside_nintendo.html>

* Game Libratory at CRCA, UCSD (NOTCOT)
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/game_libratory.html>

* The Beginnings of Sierra Part 1
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/the_beginnings.html>

* PacMan: The Other Movie
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/pacman_the_othe.html>

* Sega CD 101: A Beginner's Guide
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/sega_cd_101_a_b.html>

* The Beginnings of Sierra Part 2
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/the_beginnings_1.html>

* Chinese Chrono Trigger NES Cart
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/chinese_chrono.html>

* The SEGA Game Archive
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/the_sega_game_a.html>

* Internet Archive E3 Footage from 2004-2006
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/internet_archiv_1.html>

* What's Next For Videogames? Documentary Extract at the IA
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/whats_next_for.html>

* Preserving Video Games UT Project Website launched
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/preserving_vide.html>

* Baldur's Gate 10th Anniversary
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/baldurs_gate_10.html>

* Count Pixel's Top five classic games
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/count_pixels_to.html>

* Writing the history of virtual worlds
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/writing_the_his.html>

* The TRON design documents
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/the_tron_design.html>

* Steve Meretzky profiled "Sign of the Crab"
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/steve_meretzky.html>

* The History Of Nintendo
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/the_history_of_5.html>

* Atari: The Golden Years -- A History, 1978-1981
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/atari_the_golde.html>

* Warcraft 3 Commentary and History
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/_warcraft_3_com.html>

* MSN interviews Joe Santulli
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/msn_interviews.html>

* The rise and fall of Full Throttle: a conversation with Bill
Tiller
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/the_rise_and_fa_1.html>

* Nintendo 64 101
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2008/08/nintendo_64_101.html>

Final Thoughts

The Whitepaper has officially started, so I hope we all can contribute a
few words to its content, else you'll get another annoying note next
month about it not having much done on it :) in any case, hope the end
of Summer has been good!

Thanks all,

Andrew Armstrong

IGDA Game Preservation SIG Site/Blog editor