[game_preservation] Say hello to the new guy!

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 24 16:06:42 EDT 2008

Hi Joe,

welcome to the group.

Not that I am going to show up on your doorstep, but where is your
collection physically located? Is it possible for people to see the
materials you have collected?

Henry

At 12:08 PM 9/24/2008, ommail at cox.net wrote:

>Greetings All.

>Chris Lepine was kind enough to email me, and let me know about this

>list. Some people I know personally, some only by reputation, and

>some not at all. I just wanted to give a big Hi to everyone, and

>thank you to the moderators of the mailing list.

>Some background on me:

>I'm Joe Garrity, and I run a (horribly incomplete) website called

>The Origin Museum. I specialize in preserving and archiving gaming

>artifacts related to Origin Systems. My experiences in game

>preservation are varied, but I don't like to think of myself as an

>'expert'. I will be asking many questions during my time here, and

>I hope that folks are nice enough to share their knowledgebase, and

>give advice.

>Mostly, my focus is on preserving the physical artifacts--game boxes

>and manuals, design documentation, artwork, props, promotional

>material, etc. Some of the Museum's accomplishments can be found on

>our website--take a look, and you'll see what I mean:

>http://www.originmuseum.net/accomp.htm

>On the digital front, I was recently involved in a joint-effort with

>the Wing Commander News guys, to archive what was left of EA's

>holdings of Origin (as Chris reported last month). It was a real

>blast to be a part of that effort, and I certainly learned a lot

>about digital archiving.

>well, I hope that I can do my part in way of game preservation. If

>anyone thinks that I can help with any projects, or needs info on

>the Museum's collection, I'm always glad to provide.

>"...Preserving Worlds..."

>Joe Garrity

>Origin Museum

>http://www.originmuseum.net

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004