[game_preservation] GDC 2009 Report, Roundtable Notes

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 2 16:37:39 EDT 2009

Hmm, Andrew, "Less need to keep the paper once it is scanned." I don't
think anybody said that. I disagree with the statement, and Steve was
talking about his need to keep the paper, so that he could give it to a
repository for safe keeping, once it was scanned. I think that point
was missed in the notes. Also, I would rather not put out in public a
discussion about an individual's papers. So perhaps let's just remove
that bit.

Also, could you remove the notes about the Edge article that was not
written? What I said did not come out right, and besides, that was just
an informal comment, not meant for broadcasting.

Henry

Rachel "Sheepy" Donahue wrote:

> Thanks for the notes!

> A few comments:

> Scanning is not a valid preservation method!!! Ahhhh! ;)

> Just saying so because it sounded like you were saying you "didn't

> need" the physical items if they were scanned.. but paper is much more

> straightforward and cheaper to preserve!

> You say:

> " Fair use is very unexplored territory around this. No test cases for

> any of this stuff. Only way to test things is in court. Fair use for

> literary material is cannot copy more then part of the work..."

> Mind, my response is entirely from a US IP law perspective.

> I was at an archives conference a few months back and had the good

> fortune of going to a session with a pretty knowledgable (to this

> peon) IP lawyer. I asked her what shrink wrap license meant for the

> fair use exemptions that exist in copyright law, and she said that as

> there is precedent for people making personal agreements to circumvent

> that sort of law, "agreeing" to the license means forfeiting those

> rights completely.

> There's also a fair amount of case law (in the US) -- especially from

> before the DMCA was enacted -- regarding shrink wrap licenses, but it

> is really painful to wade through if you're not a lawyer. There were

> some consumer protection laws that were suggested, but ultimately

> didn't get passed, if I recall. I haven't looked at much of the legal

> literature surrounding DMCA, though (yet).

> "An IGDA position to have an official archivist at every company"

> I obviously support this ;)

> "Maybe having the SIG being a coordinator like the IEEE History

> Centre. We can also go to the other SIG's and get the history of their

> area of history covered."

> This might be a little crazy, but when I first thought of the survey I

> thought it would be really cool if something like the American

> Institute of Physics did for physics could be done for the game

> industry. Basically they went around to the major physics industry

> names and took a look at record keeping/generating practices of the

> company as a whole and invididual scientists. The report is really

> cool and loaded with useful information, and will prove to be an

> important tool in preserving the history of physics (which is what AIP

> strives to do). I think it's a good model for any organization looking

> to preserve industry history; not just the sciences.

> http://www.aip.org/history/pubs/hopi.html

> Obviously a HUGE undertaking, and would probably face a lot of

> difficulty getting to the people in the know since game development is

> a bit more of a closed industry, and I don't think developers view the

> IGDA (I could be wrong!) with the same sort of respect AIP gets. So

> getting in the door is harder.

> "A final point on how much it costs to preserve one game - the cost

> can be from zero to who knows. Say $50,000 if just being asked to

> [...]

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library
557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004 USA
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood
lowood at stanford.edu; 650-723-4602