[game_preservation] Improving the IGDA Preservation SIG Blog/News area

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Apr 13 10:52:58 EDT 2009

Hey all,

I've cut back from posting historical articles on the IGDA Preservation
SIG Blog - which will get transferred over to the new site BTW (they can
import things :) ). This is from what I said in the April roundup:

The format of the news will likely change in the future. Without help I
am falling behind on the actual useful stuff to report on for
preservationists, historians and the like (no one emails me any news,
luckily I guess!). I'll probably post useful news immediately, on
techniques, events (both ones you attend, and big events like something
shutting down!), preservation/history projects and SIG items. I will be
working on the Bibliography project for more or less interesting
historical or game history articles, where I will likely point a feed
from for more regular "Updates of articles related to game preservation
and history that you might be interested in reading", whew!

Lots of exclamation marks, eh? I don't exactly have anyone editing my
work :) What I will be doing in the future:

* Post all SIG related news, changes, project information
* Post all memorials, in separate entries
* Post important information regarding things that impact preservation -
such as laws, major events (such as things shutting down, major
donations to archives, museums opening, etc)
* Post all preservation-related events (such as DiGRA), and maybe retro
computer/game events

Possibly:

* Post in-depth articles on special videogame preservation related
topics, which are also mirrored on our wiki or other sites (such as some
of the items we have as projects to get information about)
* Do interviews with historians, developers, or related people to the
topic of game preservation
* Roundup what has been added to the Internet Archive

So, does everyone agree with what I'm doing? Is this better or worse
then before? Does anyone want to help or provide some tips? We are on
the lookout for more contributors for this, at least being available for
an interview perhaps :)

I'll bring up the GDC-brought-up projects next week, a topic each so we
can get those discussed a bit. The bibliography is still something I
want to get done - I think there are different sites for papers
specifically (as we've checked out), but a good resource listing
videogame related topics as they come up will be good (for instance,
every GDC seems to bring up a few key topics that get discussed by
various people - this year, IGDA's QoL issues, "Immature Game
Developers", and Metacritic being bigger ones).

Thanks,