[game_preservation] Improving the IGDA Preservation SIG Blog/News area

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 13 14:04:11 EDT 2009

If the drupal installation has a plain-text editor that allows full use
of html, then you can use the RSS feed, I think. Henry

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Okay, great :)

> I've no idea if we're allowed that RSS functionality on the new site,

> I'll look into it - it was going to be more a weekly news item, doing

> it per item can mean a dozen or more at once I guess. This is more

> something I'll get going once the new site is available though, since

> I can then start embedding images and stuff.

> Andrew

> Henry Lowood wrote:

>> That seems reasonable, Andrew. The "possibly" categories are truly

>> optional. BTW you can use RSS from Internet Archive to post directly

>> to drupal sites; no need for human intervention if you want to post

>> items received. However, I would use a separate page for that feed,

>> otherwise it will push other posts down.

>> Henry

>> Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>>> Hey all,

>>> I've cut back from posting historical articles on the IGDA

>>> Preservation SIG Blog - which will get transferred over to the new

>>> site BTW (they can import things :) ). This is from what I said in

>>> the April roundup:

>>> The format of the news will likely change in the future. Without

>>> help I am falling behind on the actual useful stuff to report on for

>>> preservationists, historians and the like (no one emails me any

>>> news, luckily I guess!). I'll probably post useful news immediately,

>>> on techniques, events (both ones you attend, and big events like

>>> something shutting down!), preservation/history projects and SIG

>>> items. I will be working on the Bibliography project for more or

>>> less interesting historical or game history articles, where I will

>>> likely point a feed from for more regular "Updates of articles

>>> related to game preservation and history that you might be

>>> interested in reading", whew!

>>> Lots of exclamation marks, eh? I don't exactly have anyone editing

>>> my work :) What I will be doing in the future:

>>> * Post all SIG related news, changes, project information

>>> * Post all memorials, in separate entries

>>> * Post important information regarding things that impact

>>> preservation - such as laws, major events (such as things shutting

>>> down, major donations to archives, museums opening, etc)

>>> * Post all preservation-related events (such as DiGRA), and maybe

>>> retro computer/game events

>>> Possibly:

>>> * Post in-depth articles on special videogame preservation related

>>> topics, which are also mirrored on our wiki or other sites (such as

>>> some of the items we have as projects to get information about)

>>> * Do interviews with historians, developers, or related people to

>>> the topic of game preservation

>>> * Roundup what has been added to the Internet Archive

>>> So, does everyone agree with what I'm doing? Is this better or worse

>>> then before? Does anyone want to help or provide some tips? We are

>>> on the lookout for more contributors for this, at least being

>>> available for an interview perhaps :)

>>> I'll bring up the GDC-brought-up projects next week, a topic each so

>>> we can get those discussed a bit. The bibliography is still

>>> something I want to get done - I think there are different sites for

>>> papers specifically (as we've checked out), but a good resource

>>> listing videogame related topics as they come up will be good (for

>>> instance, every GDC seems to bring up a few key topics that get

>>> discussed by various people - this year, IGDA's QoL issues,

>>> "Immature Game Developers", and Metacritic being bigger ones).

>>> Thanks,

>>> Andrew

>>> game_preservation mailing list

>>> game_preservation at igda.org

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004