[game_preservation] Computers playing videogames

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Aug 9 13:13:06 EDT 2009

Games can already play themselves :) You used to be able to set the Left
4 Dead bots to "play without humans" and just move themselves. The AI
director there already plays the zombie side if it isn't versus :)

Oh, going back further, bots in anything from quake-times onwards also
count :D

I like the AI research areas though - things are a bit more abstract and
puzzle-like in Mario etc. - and involve more complex timing (rather then
just letting a pathfinding algorithm tell the AI where it needs to jump
etc.).

As for where it puts games - squarely in the academic arena for these
purposes. Self-playing won't be fun, however cooperative and competitive
play will be - I'd love non-rubberband AI opponents in racing games
(rarely done, but is possible), better informed and competent AI allies
and opponents in anything that involves any kind of cooperation too
(especially strategy and management games which don't usually feature
highly adept AI). Personally, I'd also like AI's to be able to play as a
human would - as much of the kind of research progression intends (ie;
AI's playing singleplayer levels), but that is more my interest in AI
then any real world application besides "yay, we can do it!".

Andrew