[game_preservation] National Game Registry Blog

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 15:54:44 EST 2009

Thank you for the information Marty.

There's actually two projects I'm working on now.

1) A survey of game preservation archives, projects, and initiatives around
the world (this article came up when I was doing a search).

2) An article on the development of computer games from the period of
1961-1972 and especially why there is so little documentation over a ten
year period outside of Spacewar (which was extremely popular) and Brown Box
(when the following 10 year period is chock full of new innovations).

The second paper is directly tied with the research problems you mention, as
well as the problem I've run into of tracking down the information I need,
which is essentially lists of computer software that was created or run on
mainframe computers during this time period (as well as hopefully what it is
and who made it). The solution seems to be finding these documents. What you
have said about interviews makes me less keen on tracking down key players.
However, your mention of game software on the TX-0 interests me quite a bit.
I was going to talk about chess AI (which are, after all, computer games),
but I haven't heard of much other information. I would be very interested in
seeing what you located and if you know a paper trail I can continue
following.

With Steve Kent's book, I find it more interesting regarding not so much
what the people are saying but what they are *not* saying. It is very easy
in that regard to tell what the person is like and how his character shaped
the industry, even when you can't take what he says as completely true.