[game_preservation] Authenticating factory sealed games

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 14 12:50:38 EST 2009

Echoing Martin here: Most of the games in the Cabrinety Collection were
sealed, and our Preservation Department advised us to remove the
shrinkwrap from all of them. Which we did.

Henry

Martin Goldberg wrote:

> I see that these have a protective plastic reinforcement inside the

> wrap. With regards to archiving NOS boxed games that don't have that:

> take off the sealing/saran-wrap. It shrinks over time and will start

> to constrict the box, warping it and in some cases actual crushing

> edges of the cardboard (a common problem with NOS

> Atari/Intellivision/Colecovision/etc. era sealed boxes).

> Marty

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Devin Monnens <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I was just kabitzing around e-bay looking up some factory sealed games I had

>> and was pretty amazed at some of the prices there. Unfortunately, when I

>> went to verify, I was not convinced that they were authentic. One of my

>> games (Link to the Past Player's Choice) has the 'H-Seal'. The other two,

>> 7th Saga and Super Castlevania 4, look doubtful, particularly 7th Saga.

>> Here's an example of an 'h-seal':

>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=380177972686&Category=139973&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

>> I picked these up from Gamestop/Funcoland back in 2001/2002-ish. They have

>> plastic seals on them, but they aren't the h-seal. I've become convinced now

>> that 7th Saga is not sealed because there is actually wear on the box. I

>> don't know why the retailer would have gone through the trouble of resealing

>> it, but I highly doubt a factory copy would have wear (and it's quite a

>> bit). Has anyone here heard of this happening? Makes me pretty bummed that

>> this isn't authentic! Thankfully my Super Mario Land GB is original :)

>> Then there's Video Game Authority:

>> http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Turrican-2-SNES-Super-NES-NEW-SEALED-VGA-80_W0QQitemZ380183166693QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item5884aebee5

>> The VGA cases look pretty neat, but it seems like an easy way of making

>> money off of people (i.e. ripping them off). Check their pricings - it's

>> like $80 plus shipping to get something authenticated:

>> http://www.vggrader.com/default.aspx

>> They're located in Georgia. Yeah, mine are going to remain in my closet.

>> -DM

>> --

>> Devin Monnens

>> www.deserthat.com

>> The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004