[game_preservation] National Game Registry Blog

D. Michelle Hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 17 14:37:46 EST 2009

> Well, history chooses what it wants to remember but also what is

> accessible to remember. How much material was actually done behind

> closed doors (grad school and research projects in the 50's and 60's)

> and simply lost to time? It's really up to the people involved with

> it originally to come out with it - like what's happened with PLATO as

> of late. I'm very interested in some of the games that were written

> by kids in Alan Kay's and Adele Goldberg's early smalltalk days at

> Xerox as well during the mid 70's. AFAIK, those are the first

> mouse/gui based games.

> Yeah, PLATO is really interesting because it is one of these

> threads that wasn't directly connected to the others. From what I

> see, there is a lot of influence across platforms (arcade to home

> console and later home console to handheld; home console to PC and

> PC to console) but ultimately there's the console/arcade branch and

> the PC branch (which includes mainframe computers). Text adventures

> for example don't seem to have had a big impact on console games

> (their successors, the graphics adventures, did however). And even

> in the PC branch, there are different things going on that weren't

> necessarily having a direct impact (PLATO was inside PARC). It's a

> pretty tangled web...

Plato, of course, has a great history at University of Illinois,
where I received my PhD. My PhD advisor has a lot of information
about it and I will contact him to see if he can't add a paragraph or
so about the games created for that. I *think* I remember him telling
me about a flight sim that was created that became the beginning of
Microsoft's flight sim. Don't quote me on that! This thread just
jogged my memory! :)

Michelle