[game_preservation] National Game Registry Blog

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 23:05:32 EST 2009

> "How do you interface with a

> video signal to produce interaction on a television set?", which was a

> big deal that time. That's why spot generation and manipulation is

> usually the first step (and what Ralph did with the Odyssey and what

> Ted designed for Computer Space).

That's also what Baer holds the patent for :) THE most important patent, I'd
say.

> That's one of the key reasons though why both Spacewar! and Tennis For

> Two were thrown out of court as previous examples of technology to try

> and invalidate Ralph's patents. None of those had to do with video

> technology.

Yeah, the display monitors used different technology - even though the
concept of manipulating a computer-generated object on a display device was
the same.

> The issue now is that beginning in the very early 80's, the press and

> even a lot of the company marketing that was appearing, started using

> the term very broadly. Things from handheld LED games (i.e. Mattel

> Football) to anything that was electronic, visual, and a game, were

> referred to under "video games" as a generic catch phrase. It became

> more of a pop culture term, and consequently started being applied in

> complete hindsite to anything related over the years. Hence you have

> arguments now as to "the first video game" when years ago there was no

> such supported argument.

Yeah - what I love now is the fight between 'video game' and 'videogame'.
I'm glad Baer has taken the term 'videogame' :) Of course, 'video' has its
own set of connotations today, which was why we decided to go with 'computer
game' because in all cases (from Spacewar and Tennis for Two to Odyssey,
Tiger Handhelds, and audio games), they are controlled by computers. I admit
I'm still getting used to it myself! I'll probably switch back to
'videogames' again in another five years - just wait!