[game_preservation] Cataloging Standards?

ommail at cox.net ommail at cox.net
Tue Dec 22 15:52:12 EST 2009

Thanks Devin-

I believe that things would be much better overall with a standard naming convention for cataloging. I can speak to the LoC guys doing digital and physical preservation, and forward their thoughts.

Actually, I don't think it matters at all what type of digital documents we have--that's kind of the point--there should be a standard cataloging format for *any* type of archive information--this way it can all be cross-referenced. Here's an example:

Catalog the following, in a standardized format, fully cross-referenced:
* 3 copies of Wing Commander 3-PC, by Origin/EA, 1995-4 CD-Roms, box, booklets, warranty card, etc.
* 2 copies of Wing Commander 3-3Do, by Origin/EA, 1995-4 CD-Roms, box, booklets, warranty card, etc.
* 1 copy of Wing Commander 3-Playstation, by Origin/EA, 1995-4 CD-Roms, box, booklets, warranty card, etc.
* 2 copy of Wing Commander III Deluxe Edition-PC by Origin/EA 1995-all of the above, plus WC3 poster, calendar, Behind-the-screens-CD, Origin Audio CD 3, all in a limited edition film canister.
* 1 original master script from Wing Commander 3, Frank DePalma/Terry Borst, 22 August 94 (160 pgs)
* 1 costume 'Kilrathi' prop head, non-animatronic, used in the filming of Wing Commander 3, Latex, w/hair-1994
* 3 pairs costume 'Kilrathi' prop hands, used in the filming of Wing Commander 3, Latex, w/hair-1994
* 1 'Hobbes' costume 'Kilrathi' prop head, animatronic (mechanism missing),used in the filming of Wing Commander 3, Latex, w/hair-1994
* 2 Large/5 small 35mm film reels, alternate takes of cinematic scenes from filming of Wing Commander 3, 1994-Negative prints (total estimated running time-28 minutes)
* 3 digital data disks (CD-Rom)-contains "Origin Systems/Creative Services" images used to create advertising and box covers for Wing Commander III-1994
* 1 'Zanart'- framed foil artwork of Wing Commander 3 game cover
* 1 VHS video, Mark Hammil appearing on the Today Show, promoting Wing Commander III--1995
* 1 large Wing Commander 3 promotional poster prototype
* 8 35mm slides containing hi-rez images of original Wing Commander 3 box artwork (by Yeates)

See where this can get tricky? So far I haven't found anything that fits completely, but I'd rather use an already established standard (like LoC), rather than creating yet another new one.

Joe