[game_preservation] Huntington Project (1968-1972)

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Thu Dec 31 01:09:51 EST 2009

Devin,

we have much of the archives of the PCC at Stanford. About half the
library, including many of the local user group publications, is
included. PCC's newsletter and that of the Homebrew Computer Club, as well.

Henry

Devin Monnens wrote:

> Was flipping through an old issue of the People's Computer Company

> newsletter and came upon this group through Polytechnic Institute of

> Brooklyn that was creating simulations and interactive software and

> games to teach students in math, biology, physics, and social studies.

> I thought this was an interesting bit that seems to follow the line of

> using computers for games and simulations in military and government

> projects. The article below contains a PDF of the report the

> Huntington Project produced which has rationale and history behind the

> project as well as descriptions of the software they created as well

> as sample plays. I think this is neat to see when today the Serious

> Games movement is so strong - you might say it really started back in

> 1967 for use in education with the Huntington Project.

> http://iae-pedia.org/Lud_Braun

> As far as I know, now PCC newsletter collection is available online,

> but there are some good sources:

> http://www.digibarn.com/collections/newsletters/peoples-computer/index.html -

> scans of the October 1972 Vol. 1

> http://www.svipx.com/pcc/gameslist.html

> The PCC newsletter has a very nice aesthetic. Reading more about them

> in Hackers...

> www.deserthat.com <http://www.deserthat.com>

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library
557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004 USA
http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood
lowood at stanford.edu; 650-723-4602