[game_preservation] Wikipedia thoughts?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 8 15:51:32 EST 2009

Andrew,

Well, a lot can be said about this controversy and about Wikipedia in
general. My interest is in what seems to me to be a rather arbitrary
set of criteria imposed by -- hmm, who? -- at Wikipedia with regard to
what counts as documentation. If the argument for Wikipedia is open to
all, then fine, open to all. If the argument is that the content needs
to be filtered and vetted, then who are these guys? Maybe it would make
sense to ask historians or game developers or members of our SIG or
somebody knowledgeable in a particular field to act as, shudder,
/editor./ And, by the way, as the criteria are applied, is any
information transparently available about why they are applied, what
historians would call historiography or archivists might call
documentation strategy? It just seems very odd to me, a vetting
structure without any stake in the field that is being discussed, such
that someone like Bartle or Koster could be dismissed as an being
competent to write on the subject.

Henry

>>> http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/01/losing_the_thre.html

>>> http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/01/more_on_thresho.html

>>> I wanted to know if anyone on the list had thoughts on Wikipedia - as

>>> a

>>> resource, as a solution or problem, or whatever. I'm just interested,

>>> I've not investigated it much myself, and only ever use the

>>> encyclopaedia for general reading, but the quality of some subjects is

>>> pretty poor (or, as we can see, not even there now).

>>> Hopefully the situation will improve over time. I was also going to

>>> see

>>> what perhaps Mobygames were doing to expand their database (if they

>>> were

>>> going to) - there is a lot of credits, covers and screenshots, but not

>>> much actual written content about the games in the database, which is

>>> a

>>> shame really.

>>> Andrew