[game_preservation] Wikipedia thoughts?

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Fri Jan 9 21:44:14 EST 2009

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> I wanted to know if anyone on the list had thoughts on Wikipedia - as a

> resource, as a solution or problem, or whatever. I'm just interested,

> I've not investigated it much myself, and only ever use the

> encyclopaedia for general reading, but the quality of some subjects is

> pretty poor (or, as we can see, not even there now).

Congrats, you've discovered the cancer of Wikipedia: Not Notable.
People are free to delete entire articles because they think they're not
important/relevant enough, while hypocritically ignoring the core slogan
"sum of all human knowledge".

I gave up on Wikipedia a long time ago when I wrote 90% of the CGA
article only to have entire sections jettisoned with "no original
research". That's not why I gave up on it -- I gave up on it when I
took the exact same information and put it on webpages I host, then put
it back into Wikipedia with references, et voila, it was accepted.
That's idiotic.

> Hopefully the situation will improve over time. I was also going to see

> what perhaps Mobygames were doing to expand their database (if they were

> going to) - there is a lot of credits, covers and screenshots, but not

> much actual written content about the games in the database, which is a

> shame really.

MobyGames is at the mercy of the people who contribute to it; some games
have a ton of information you can cull; others don't. MobyGames tries
to keep the descriptions objective, but the reviews and trivia contain a
lot of the hidden details.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Help our electronic games project: http://www.mobygames.com/