[game_preservation] Spring Cleaning the SIG, +2009 ideas (Please respond!)

Devin Monnens evilcowclone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 00:44:04 EST 2009

Andrew,

That list looks good. I've been a bit preoccupied with some other things
lately, but this looks good. I personally have some interest in the
resources section as I think big centralized lists of articles, etc is very
important to research.

Another concern I've got for preservation is actually dying skill sets. We
know that the knowledge of how old videogames were made is really
disappearing, and the process of actually making classic games is reduced to
either homebrew groups doing NES and Atari games and games like Rockman 9
that LOOK like they ran on an NES, but actually are too much for the system
to handle. However, the technology always changes, so the tools really
aren't that important so long as we can still make games and still make
something that looks 8-bit.

More important is the loss of an actual entire format of games. The one I'm
talking about is pinball. Hardly anybody makes pinball games anymore. I was
talking with Micky G. Albert over at Mindware about this and he said that
there's only one or two guys out there who are actually making new pinball
games. A digital pinball game is simply not the same as a physical one,
because the physics and performance are all different. Mindware has been
researching how pinball games are made by repairing them, and hopes to work
on development kits for homebrew pinball creation.

The trouble that I pointed out to him was, the skills for how to make good
pinball games will disappear with the last designers. How do we know that if
you put this flipper here and this bumper here, that creates a particular
system that creates 'fun' or 'engaging' play? You would have to learn how to
make the wheel all over again. So preserving games in this case isn't so
much preserving museum pieces of pinball machines but rather preserving oral
histories and how-to's of how games are actually made.

It's different from the loss of Famicom dev kits for instance because we
still know how to make videogames. It would be more like if people stopped
making pixel art or 2D games (it's a dying breed, but there are still many
out there, so it won't go away). We would have to study how the games were
made if we ever wanted to make a new one that compared - otherwise, we'd
have to start from scratch.

Anyway, I think getting some oral histories of pinball development might be
a good project for that section, but I honestly don't know enough to see how
far to pursue that. I do think it is going to be pretty important though
because it is a very unique problem.

-Devin

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando