[game_preservation] iPhone Game Preservation

Jerome McDonough jmcdonou at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 29 18:54:14 EDT 2009

There is a *huge* difference between the amount of storage needed in
production/post-production and what ends up in the final master for
delivery to theaters. Any movie will generate a ton of assets that
don't make it into the final cut (although increasingly they do show
up in DVDs post-release).

For 4K resolution digital cinema using a 4:4:4 colorspace and 36-bits/
pixel of color information (pretty standard for the serious movie
folks), a single frame takes 39.81 MB. At the standard 24 frame/
second "film" speed, one minute of video imagery takes 28.67 GB. An
hour will take about 1.72 TB; two hours 3.44 TB. Add in audio
information, then compress the whole lot and you've got about 2TB of
delivered film.

I seem to remember that the effects people who worked on Spiderman III
typically had about 50 TB of assets online that they were having to
manage for rending scenes. So, yes, the ratio of production/post-
production storage needs and projection house storage needs are vastly
different. One of the big questions for the movie preservation folks
at this point is the question of whether archiving the final product
is enough, or whether they want to archive *all* the raw assets, along
with the edit decision lists that determined the composition of the
final film.

On Jul 29, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Fair enough. Funnily I was looking up some numbers, and saw Monsters

> versus Aliens was at the 100TB mark for production storage. Ouch, if

> you wanted to store that at the "insane managed storage solution"

> price.

> Andrew

> Henry Lowood wrote:

>> Andrew,

>> 2TB is a lot for professionally managed storage solutions, which

>> have expensive per-kb costs, because until recent years, the

>> primary group of customers was law firms. They can afford to pay

>> a lot per byte, and their documents are small by comparison to high-

>> resolution moving image collections; so there is an issue of scale.

>> Henry

>> Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>>> Really? fair enough, they need the quality of massive files.

>>> I'd love to see a breakdown of it, although it's barely something

>>> that related to the videogame world since even cutscenes are no

>>> where near the space of the digital-print quality needed as Jerome

>>> mentioned, and even if they were they are a few minutes in length.

>>> Is it 2 Terabytes? that's not that much space, did you mean

>>> petabytes? :)

>>> In any case, I am sure situations will change - well, they must

>>> do, since the film studios need some way to make future copies of

>>> a film. A shame games, then, are so small, even if original art

>>> assets, files and code is included with the final game files. ;)

>>> Blessing perhaps rather then a curse.

>>> Andrew

>>> game_preservation mailing list

>>> game_preservation at igda.org

>> --

>> Henry Lowood, Ph.D.

>> Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;

>> Film & Media Collections

>> HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall

>> Stanford University Libraries

>> Stanford CA 94305-6004

>> 650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu; http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood

Jerome McDonough, Asst. Professor
Graduate School of Library & Information Science
501 E. Daniel Street, Room 202
Champaign, IL 61820
(217) 244-5916
jmcdonou at uiuc.edu