[game_preservation] [Monthly SIG Roundup] June 2009

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Jun 1 12:01:23 EDT 2009

Not much activity this month from our SIG, although we've discussed the
IGDA's own backup situation and that will be investigated in the future.

Preservation SIG May 2009 Work

No work as far as I'm aware this month apart from me working on backend
material for the Bibliography project - make sure if you are interested,
at all, in preservation to help us with our projects
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG> if you're interested
(and if you think something is missing, please tell us).

There was however some bits of news and discussion, check it out below.

Future Work for June 2009

I have still got to contact the Japanese collection of material, and
projects still need leads and work started on them. I hope that by the
end of June, which at least in the UK is around the same time as all the
Universities ending the final semester, people will be around with a bit
more time :)

Mailing List Discussions

If you've not joined our mailing list
<http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/game_preservation>, please do
so. We've never tried using our forums it seems :) we stick to
old-fangled email. This will eventually change when the IGDA site
changes over - although those wanting email can still get it.

May
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-May/thread.html>
had mainly discussions on the IGDA's backup situation
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-May/001194.html>.
Many of the topics discussed in early may were mentioned in the last
newsletter such as Encarta dying
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-May/001166.html>.
After the update, we have Old printers
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-May/001202.html>
and trueSpace having stopped support
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-May/001206.html>.

There was an interesting discussion touching on aspects of preserving
non-physical games
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-May/001210.html>
- download, MMO and others. A very tough part of the work that is going on.

Finally, there is a discussion on the news that IGN is shutting down
their hosting
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-May/001221.html>,
for all but FilePlanet and IGN.com it appears. We'll obviously see more
shortly.

Preservation SIG Blog Updates / Links

/Have I missed anything this month? Then email it in to
preservation_news @ igda.org !/

A few items of news this month:

* (Exhibit) Videogame Nation at the Urbis Gallery
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/06/exhibit_videoga.html>

* IGN Hosted Sites - Classic Gaming/Gamespy Networks Shutting Down
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/05/ign_hosted_site.html>

<http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Preservation_SIG/Monthly_Roundups/200906&action=edit&section=6>Final
Thoughts

I've got a list of things the length of my arm to follow up, so less
time spent writing this the better. Adios!

Andrew Armstrong

IGDA Game Preservation SIG Site/Blog editor