[game_preservation] Preservation of analogue game media

Devin Monnens evilcowclone at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 11:17:38 EST 2009

Hi Kieron,

Haven't posted any responses as I was on the conference track the past week
- makes it difficult to read things! Anyway, great detail here and it's all
quite fascinating! At first I thought this was for scanning documents ( >.<
) but as I see, it's new information!

Authenticity is a problem that hackers are dealing with, too, which is why a
lot of the sites that rip disc-based games are now including MD5 and CRC
check files. (Unfortunately, I think they are encoding all their audio into
FLAC, which has some advantages, but is not a preservation standard. FLAC
does contain the CRC information of the original WAV though).

Another thing to consider is whether (and sometimes how) to preserve the
copy protection data. I am assuming your backups include these as well?

On another note, I have found very little high-quality Super Mario Bros.
development art on the web despite the fact that it's in tons of magazines
and promo materials. You would think a site like The Mushroom Kingdom would
have it...

Devin

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando