[game_preservation] [Monthly SIG Roundup] March 2009

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sun Mar 1 17:05:08 EST 2009

White paper work has gone on strongly and GDC is looming!

Preservation SIG February 2009 Work

The white paper "Before It's Too Late: A Digital Game Preservation White
Paper
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/White_Paper/Before_It%27s_Too_Late:_A_Digital_Game_Preservation_White_Paper>"
is now nearly complete, there is some more editing to do and printing to
take care of before GDC. Good work all who has contributed to it! we'll
release a digital copy to the SIG and public when we can :)

The SIG also has a logo, finally. I finished up the design, and is shown
proudly on our wiki page
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG>. I'll be sure to get it
on future content, new IGDA site pages, and whatever else I can.

At the Internet Archive we have two major changes - contributions to the
videogame footage collection
<http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Satakore.com%22>
from Satakore.com <http://www.satakore.com/>, a Sega site.

Secondly, we have been working on the new section for game patches
<http://www.archive.org/details/gamepatches>. This is currently having
bits and pieces added to it (so I can get up to speed on the kind of
thing which is a good idea to do for items - patch notes, etc.). Help
would be welcome, so if anyone has a large collection of patches,
especially for older titles, getting them to me or uploading them would
be a great help. Contact me or Simon (simon -at- archive -dot- org) to
offer help.

We also have had some interest for starting up the Oral Histories
project for real, at least in collaboration with existing efforts in the
area - Dean O'Donnell from Worcester Polytechnic Institute. The
collectors information project might also get some help from Stuart
Feldhamer, thank you both!

Finally, Dan Pinchbeck from Portsmouth University has got some
preservation panel work to be offered to DiGRA <http://www.digra.org/>,
one item will be the white paper, and some other related research of
course. The actual event is at Brunel University, West London 1st - 4th
of September 2009, a date for your diaries if you're in the UK.

Future Work for March 2009

Major items to get done in March include preparing for GDC. We'll make
sure to advertise when the extra meeting session will be, the roundtable
has been confirmed to be Friday (March 27, 2009), 2:30pm --- 3:30pm
<https://www.cmpevents.com/GD09/a.asp?option=G&V=3&id=99189>. Catch us
there if possible!

I personally am also going to report on Byte-Back
<http://byte-back.info/> next weekend, and finally play some more old
videogames. I certainly don't do enough in that regard!

Mailing List Discussions

If you've not joined our mailing list
<http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/game_preservation>, please do
so. We've never tried using our forums it seems :) we stick to
old-fangled email.

This month
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-February/thread.html>
we have discussions on an extra GDC meeting
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-February/000817.html>,
the aforementioned collectors project
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-February/000822.html>
and oral histories
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-February/000845.html>,
as well as a lot around KEEP
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-February/000834.html>.

There is also sad discussion on HOTU
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-February/000890.html>
(Home of the Underdogs) shutting down, and an interesting discussion
started on preserving analogue media correctly
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2009-February/000858.html>.
Contributions to the latter discussion welcomed this month!

Preservation SIG Blog Updates / Links

/Have I missed anything this month? Then email it in to
preservation_news @ igda.org !/

*Note*: this month I've been terribly lax. I've got 300+ things just in
my RSS feeds to check out, so expect more news on the blog next month.

* The National Videogame Archive Updates and My Report
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/03/the_national_vi.html>

* Retroaction - Retro Gaming Mag
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/02/retroaction_ret.html>

* Ask the Game Trust: The First Game You Bought
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/02/ask_the_game_tr.html>

* Home of the Underdogs Website Hosting Ceased
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/02/home_of_the_und.html>

* The Trough of No Value
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/02/the_trough_of_n.html>

* I'm Back!
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/02/im_back.html>
* European Project KEEP - Keeping emulation environments portable
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/02/european_projec.html>

* On Daikatana
<http://www.igda.org/preservation/archives/2009/02/on_daikatana.html>

Final Thoughts

Hopefully we'll see some of the SIG gather at GDC :) should be fun!

Andrew Armstrong

IGDA Game Preservation SIG Site/Blog editor