[game_preservation] A sad day for arcade games

O'Donnell, Dean M dodo at WPI.EDU
Tue Mar 3 13:25:02 EST 2009

Jason talks about a documentary called "Tilt" which is a history of pinball machines, but currently he's working on a history of text adventures called "Get Lamp."

Tilt's website: http://www.tilt-movie.com/

I live a mere two hours from Funspot, so once a year I go for my arcade fix. It seems to me the arcade really lives at the beach. We go to the Maine coast every summer and there are numerous arcades near every beach.

Dean

Dean O'Donnell     Associate Director,
Interactive Media and Game Development
Dept. of Humanities and Arts   WPI
dodo at wpi.edu
Phone: 508-831-5947
Fax: 508-831-5932

-----Original Message-----
From: game_preservation-bounces at igda.org [mailto:game_preservation-bounces at igda.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Armstrong
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 1:03 PM
To: IGDA Game Preservation SIG
Subject: Re: [game_preservation] A sad day for arcade games

They're certainly getting much much rarer, even in steadfast areas like
Japan (Sega closed or has plans to close something like half of them
there right?)

Not many good ones left in the UK that's for sure. The Trocadero is not
very good apart from there are a fair few machines, and worth going to
once or twice.

Need some kind of work put into documenting them. Wasn't Jason Scott
going to do a pinball or arcade documentary next? and I am sure I saw
some books and sites dedicated to it recently.

Andrew