[game_preservation] DiGRA Games Preservation panel draft

Dan Pinchbeck Dan.Pinchbeck at port.ac.uk
Fri Mar 20 06:03:06 EDT 2009

Thanks Andreas - yes, I'm also interested in reading Jo's full paper.

I'd thought perhaps you could present the KEEP paper - what do you think? Also, it would be good to talk before Malmo as you're on the panel: there's an approach to the question of developers embedding metadata I'd like to go through, that if we have the opportunity to get into the discussion would be good.

We had talked at this end about a potential visit to Germany to see you and Tobias perhaps in April. I don't know exactly how that'll pan out, but I'd personally love to come over and see your set-up - let me know if you think this will be possible.

Finally, we're going to need to start assembling the digital objects for transfer and early testing soon and I think this will primarily come from you, as I don't know what kind of archives of games the DNB, KB and BnF have. I'm still working on establishing a server here to grab the entire Home of the Underdogs archive, which will work well for everyone (it means a very secure back-up solution for HoTU, and it means we get our hands directly on a large number of obsolete games), but if we can start to assemble a list of what between us all we have, it will help us with the metadata and transfer tools early work. I'll put out a short email to all the partners on this now, but I'm not anticipating a great deal of material. We'll see!

Thanks and all best wishes,

Dan

Dr Dan Pinchbeck
Advanced Games Research Group
School of Creative Technologies
University of Portsmouth, UK

www.thechineseroom.co.uk
www.keep.port.ac.uk

>>> Andreas Lange <lange at digitalgamearchive.org> 20/03/09 9:45 AM >>>

Dear Dan,
also from my side your proposal looks very well. I am available and
looking forward to participate. After being interviewed from Joanna I am
also very curious about her contribution :)

Best, Andreas