[game_preservation] [Monthly SIG Roundup] May 2009

Rachel "Sheepy" Donahue donahrm at gmail.com
Tue May 26 11:08:14 EDT 2009

Little late to this party (was wrapped up in end of the semester doins - catching up on email now), but I've heard of folks using:

CleverSafe: http://www.cleversafe.com/
Amazon S3: http://aws.amazon.com/s3/
and of course Iron Mountain: http://www.ironmountain.com/index.asp

And for any services, here's a questionaire to make them answer: http://www.nedcc.org/resources/digital/downloads/QuestionstoAskProvidersofDigitalStoragefinal.pdf

(NEDCC is one of the "go to" organizations for preservation/convervation)

Do we have any idea what their budget looks like in terms of data preservation, and how much data they have? Since it's "international," are their international partners that would be willing to host an offsite backup? If the amt of data is small enough (1TB or under) it would probably be worth it just to get folks willing to host regular incremental backups on 3 different continents and do simple integrity checks -- doesn't hafta be too sophisticated!

Of course, I have no idea what the background to this discussion is, so I could be way off base.

Cheers,
Rach