[game_preservation] Videogame Archive exhibit on display

Vowell, Zach zvowell at austin.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 3 11:38:47 EST 2009

Last week we installed an exhibit featuring materials from the UT Videogame
Archive out at the Austin airport. It will be up until January 20, 2010, so
if you'll be travelling through or stuck in the Austin airport, be sure to
check it out. The exhibit cases and posters are spread out throughout the
main concourse.

Here's a link from our website that gives a bit more information:

http://www.cah.utexas.edu/projects/videogamearchive/item_102809.html

When putting the exhibit together, my primary aim was to broaden awareness
about game preservation and explain the need for videogame archives in
general, so hopefully some of that will rub off on at least a few passersby.

And I thought I'd add that one of the exhibit cases features the DOOM box
cover, and might serve as a inadequate but visible memorial for the late Don
Ivan Punchatz. There isn't any text identifying Punchatz, but we do
identify the game as a classic (of course, everyone here knows that, but
your average air-traveller may not).

--
Zach Vowell
Archivist, UT Videogame Archive