[game_preservation] Archivist's Burden

Mike Melanson mike at multimedia.cx
Fri Sep 25 00:02:34 EDT 2009

So I was thinking recently about how I didn't have enough to do with my
life (that's sarcasm at work) and I came up with yet another project:

I have a 750 GB RAID-1 storage device (i.e., mirrored 750 GB drives for
redundancy) that recently freed up. I have somewhere around 800 games on
CD-ROM (of which a fair number consist of multiple discs). So how about
archiving the discs? I guess it's sort of a duty when I am sitting on
this kind of collection. Who else knows more about forgotten educational
games and licensed Barbie titles?

The question becomes "how to archive?"

My first impulse: Write a Python script that automatically copies the
data track from a CD-ROM ('dd' Unix command). Additionally, for any
audio tracks, automatically rip them and compress them losslessly using
either FLAC or ALAC (Apple Lossless).

Comments?

--
-Mike Melanson