[game_preservation] Archivist's Burden

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Fri Sep 25 11:26:14 EDT 2009

Cool! It's a shame dd isn't actually more "low level" - ISOBuster on
Windows can check for read errors, I'm surprised this can't (or at least
log them).

As for FLAC, heh, the fact it can't be read in iTunes might suck might
just be because Apple won't support every format (I wish foobar2000 was
cross platform personally!).

I guess if the entire intention is to get the files in an easy to listen
to format, I'd suggest adding an simple 128 static bitrate MP3 creation
line, which would make quick and tiny files in comparison to the
FLAC/Apple Lossless files (and easier to provide copies of for people).
Could substitute OGG instead of MP3 because of the patent problems too
(I don't know what the patent situation for Apple Lossless is
personally, but for the lossy versions OGG is reasonable and doesn't
involve a corporate overlord :) ).

I'll think of a good way to lay this out on the wiki and get some info
up quickly (with of links of course). It needs a "proper look" - so
addition of the pitfalls, nuances, other orgs working on it, and so forth.

The main thing is always, always to keep something that can be read back
as the original source, but for CD's this is difficult for the
videogames side when we get to the "CD check + copy protection" stage of
PC development, which rely on badly wrecking CD standards, sigh.

Andrew