[game_preservation] Book debinding

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 12:44:51 EDT 2010

I got a rare Metroid strategy guide from Japan that has some artwork I want
to scan. IMO the book is overpriced collector's item, but I need the
pictures so that was that. Anyway, the book is impossible to scan because it
is VERY tightly bound (you can't even open it 50 degrees without damaging
the binding. I will therefore need to debind the book, ideally by melting
the glue. What is a good procedure for debinding it with limiting damage to
the book? I figure if we're dealing with physical collections, someone here
must have experience with that... The next trick would be RE-BINDING, but
I'll save that for later.

-Devin