[game_preservation] Generations standards?

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 19:35:28 EDT 2010

Personally, I think the 'generations' term is a bit overused and isn't
really very meaningful (to the average person) when we talk about anything
older than about 10 years. Generation is also used when discussing cell
phones (2G vs 3G), so I am a bit curious as to how and where this
terminology arose. 'Current Gen' 'Last Gen' and 'Next Gen' is used rather
frequently when talking about games in retail, and this is usually what
people are thinking - anything older than PS2 can really be considered
'classic' at this point, which effectively limits our realm of thinking.

The other reasons have to do with arcade hardware and PC hardware, which
have always been above that of consoles (possible exception being the few
months immediately following the launch of PS3). And of course handhelds,
which are always behind. It's a real pain to understand game history simply
because there are so many different platforms working simultaneously, each
influencing the other. For instance, the C64 and ZX Spectrum aren't
regularly compared with the NES and 7800 despite being contemporaries.
People seem to either talk about consoles or computer games, but not both. I
think there's a paper in covering this split and what kind of influence each
platform really has on the other (I think it's definitely gotten a lot
closer with today's hardware). And I can reinforce this with my research,
but the computer game and the console game are really two separate threads
during the 70s. There were dozens of games written in BASIC (not counting
Spacewar) that were influencing future design before Odyssey and Pong. None
of these (probably because they were text-based) seems to have influenced
Atari.

Still, you give some excellent ways of thinking about game hardware from
this period. There's definitely a split, but as you say, it's not as
dramatic as we like to think. To address some of your issues for definition
(and here I'm not really sure 'generation' is useful), here are some
interesting points:

The Turbografx falls into the same boat as 2. It was advertised as a 16-bit
system, when it just has a 16-bit graphics chip and an 8-bit cpu. I think in
this case, you can take a look at the system as a whole and see how it was
basically designed to compete with both 8 and 16-bit systems (the Famicom as
well as the SNES and Genesis). This comparison of 'next-gen tech' to
'current' or 'last-gen' tech is something important to marketing and I think
also defines how we think of technology (is the iPad right now 'current gen'
or 'next-gen' technology? It's been out less than a month, so can it really
change the way we think about technology?)

Regarding the crash, the April issue of Game Developer has an excellent
overview of this courtesy of David Crane. He doesn't say it out right, but
the crash is an indirect result of the success of Activision and Imagic,
which made millions of dollars as third party companies. This inspired in a
six-month period, no fewer than 30 companies to pop up, none of which had
any idea how to make a game, but who had contracts with their investors to
make games. As a result, dozens of crap games flooded the market. The unsold
games were sent to warehouses where investors bought them up for say $3 a
cartridge and sold them to retailers for $4, saying they could sell them for
$5. The math of 8 $5 cartridges for one $40 cartridge meant that none of the
good games would ever sell until that glut emptied the market. The only guy
who probably made any money off this whole fiasco was the entrepreneur who
bought out the warehouses - everybody else just seems to have been blinded
with the idea that the stuff would sell just because it was a videogame.