[game_preservation] U.S. Crash was Re: Generations standards?

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 15 13:23:34 EDT 2010

Devin,

One point I wanted to address: From what several Atari veterans have
told me (some pretty high up), Warner was running the company. Some of
the key people (Bushnell, Alcorn) left or were pushed out, and the
Warner brass were making the key decisions about product development by
the early 1980s. I'm not sure that "dual management" is the right term
to use by this time, it was Warner management.

Some of this is in my oral history with Al Alcorn.

Henry

Martin Goldberg wrote:

> Splitting this from the original thread for clarity.

> Devin Monnens said:

>> Regarding the crash, the April issue of Game Developer has an excellent

>> overview of this courtesy of David Crane.

> While I'm sure David would like to feel somewhat responsible for

> causing his old employer to implode, it was only a small part of the

> actual causes of Atari Inc.'s demise. A cog in the machine.

> Likewise, remember it was an industry crash, not just limited to Atari

> Inc. Activision and Imagic's earnings did not act detrimental to the

> plethora of other consoles out there - which was actually the major

> challenge in Atari's market share. For example, in 1982 when Atari's

> internal problems were in full swing, it had a good 2.5 billion in

> revenue compared to Activision's $75 million. Atari Inc. was about

> 80% of the industry at that height. Interestingly (timing wise), this

> subject (with emphasis on Atari Inc.) is one that I've put a lot of

> research (interviews, internal documents, financial coverings, etc.)

> in to the past year.

>> He doesn't say it out right, but

>> the crash is an indirect result of the success of Activision and Imagic,

>> which made millions of dollars as third party companies. This inspired in a

>> six-month period, no fewer than 30 companies to pop up, none of which had

>> any idea how to make a game, but who had contracts with their investors to

>> make games. As a result, dozens of crap games flooded the market. The unsold

>> games were sent to warehouses where investors bought them up for say $3 a

>> cartridge and sold them to retailers for $4, saying they could sell them for

>> $5. The math of 8 $5 cartridges for one $40 cartridge meant that none of the

>> good games would ever sell until that glut emptied the market. The only guy

>> who probably made any money off this whole fiasco was the entrepreneur who

>> bought out the warehouses - everybody else just seems to have been blinded

>> with the idea that the stuff would sell just because it was a videogame.

> The crap games theory has been floating around for a while, mainly due

> to Nintendo's post crash PR. In truth, Atari Inc.'s own fall had more

> to do with their own mismanagement and continued interference by

> Warner (forming a dual management), and an overcrowded market in

> general. Regarding the market, remember, for the consumer in the

> early 80's you had the 2600 (Atari's own plus Sears OEM versions),

> 5200, Channel F, Bally Astrocade, Colecovision, Vectrex, Coleco

> Gemini, Odyssey2, Intellivision, Emerson Arcadia 2001, and low end

> gaming computers like the Atari 400/800/XL series, Vic 20, Commodore

> 64, TI99/4a, and more. All with their own in-house games/software and

> a plethora of 3rd party as well. That combined with the management

> problems and a ridiculous unsustainable growth rate (i.e. a bubble)

> mixed to form what would be called the U.S. Crash.

> With Atari Inc. (and keep in mind this entire explanation is a

> [...]

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004