[game_preservation] ELIZA and Wallace Feurzeig?

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 00:08:30 EDT 2010

I tracked down an interesting reference to a program called Socratic System
for the PDP-1 developed by Wallace Feurzeig in 1963 at MIT. Weizenbaum was
working at MIT in 1964, so it looks like he built on Mr. Feurzeig's work.
Wallace Feurzeig is still alive and has a profile on LinkedIn. It's not
really my area of research, but I bet he would have quite a bit to say about
ELIZA. I wasn't sure if anyone here was aware of this as I don't recall
hearing about it (maybe it's in *Twisty Little Passages* and I just don't
remember).

Wallace Feurzeig, “Conversational Teaching Machine,” *Datamation* (June,
1964).

I got this information from a research report produced by Richard L. Wing
(who, if you remember, was in charge of the project that developed the first
Sumerian Game program in 1964). Wing also cites computer games developed by
James Coleman at Johns Hopkins University. The first game was an election
game where the results of student decisions were analyzed on a computer. In
1965 (year of the publication), Coleman produced several reading and
arithmetic games. I don't think these are listed in the report below.

James S. Coleman, et. al. *Research Program in the Effects of Games with
Simulated Environments in Secondary Education.* Report No. 1 (October,
1963). The Johns Hopkins University.