[game_preservation] Game Canon

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Tue Aug 3 19:08:01 EDT 2010

Replying to everyone here at once; I agree with everyone! Firstly;
Canon should be expansive - why not if we can do so? :D However, the
degree which it is classified Canon is just so that it isn't
/everything/, and probably it'd take both influential (ala Bill and
Matts work, although their website goes a lot deeper!) and the pioneers
and tech instigators. Like other technology mediums, there is a lot of
good first attempts, with the polishers really shining it later for real
use, but both are important.

Secondly; that list was just an example which sprung this idea again -
that there are tons of appendixes and short lists of games without the
kind of historical context most people here recognise, thus have massive
flaws. Daikatana? Trespasser? Both perhaps good examples of some really
poor design, even if it tries to pioneer some aspect or other, but
otherwise only interesting at all in how bad they are. Even Lets Play's
of these games are notorious! Not quite canon material perhaps, but it
does depend...they'd have their place but it'd be low down the list.

The IGN list is actually surprisingly interesting for noting the
pioneers and influencers, even if it is very boring, and also oddly not
really complete or in depth (it again is like a book appendix, and has
similar issues with the choices in games perhaps, but so does anything!).

Thirdly; That is great news Henry that you've still got it on your mind.
I'm certainly up for helping whatever effort. It would be the case that
a great step would be to get the LoC to consider games properly. I could
check out the UK scene on it too, and I am sure some other European
institutions might be interested since they preserve films but not games
as such (we can assume the actual game museums/archives will protect
them but they of course need to be notified of these important games too

:) so a list is always good). Even just getting them on board to protect

the actual media if not much ephemera would work wonders for posterity.

In any case, glad there is some interest, however minor! I think the
easiest part for many people is arguing why a game is really, really
important in a good way - which is the major first step. I said perhaps
start small, and this is mainly because if anything, the IGN list shows
that even a small few-paragraph description of "why" is a good starting
point for further investigation.