[game_preservation] Frank Cifaldi's preservation article on 1Up

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Sat Jan 9 14:26:04 EST 2010

"As much as I wish this weren't true, widely distributing an unreleased
game in pirated form over the Internet is the only method of
preservation that I trust, at least for now. There is no equivalent of,
say, a UCLA Film & Television Archive or an ASIFA-Hollywood for
videogames. Certainly we have the beginnings of equivalent institutions
-- the archives at Stanford and UT Austin for example are off to
tremendous starts -- but the resources and industry recognition just
aren't there yet, at least to my satisfaction."

A shame this is basically true still - there just isn't the resources
around, and the standards and concentrated effort just sadly isn't
present, at least as far as I know! (if it is present but hidden, that's
just as bad!)

Interesting reasons laid down to justify it, although I don't think
anyone here would need convincing. :)

Andrew